Monday, December 29, 2008

Tauroa Farm & Christmas

It was a pretty eventful 3 weeks at Tauroa considering the fact that I only left the farm twice. Once to go to the doctor because I was suffering from an agonizing full body rash (from toxic shellfish) and once on the night before I left to see a movie at an outdoor cinema. Other than that, I spent my days tending to my boiling skin rash, and cooking for the "family" since I couldn't go out in the sun....or else I would swell up even more than I already was. Sounds lovely, I know.


Heather (from Vermont) is the owner of the farm (Tauroa is a certified organic farm) and I worked with 2 other wwoofers that I became great friends with. Christmas was very different, mostly because it was hot out, and there wasn't a single Christmas decoration to be found in either our house or the house down the road that we had Christmas dinner at. That was Nick and Ana's family. Ana is a Naturopath so she hooked me up with load of herbs, etc to help heal and cleanse my body...I was very lucky to have her.


Christmas day Nick and Ana had a house full of family members (plus 3 wwoofers) and for dinner we had roast chicken and turkey (from the farm of course) and lots of roasted and steamed vegetables....nothing complex, just simple vegetables. Pudding (desert) was amazing. Fruit tarts, custard pudding and wine, wine, wine.

No comments: