Thursday, November 6, 2008

More Waiora Gardens

Kahu in the tree (Helen's son at my last wwoofing place)
Our bonfire - we attempted to play the digery-do, only one girl could pull it off for a breath or so, I need my uncle Mike to come teach us circular breathing!

The house isn't really on fire, my camera is possessed (or Bri is, not sure which?)
Ned - the goat. He is still fed with a bottle because he's young
The compost Toilet! The process of using this for mulching trees takes about a year, but it is very good fertilizer! It was hard to get used to it, but I realized we as humans can get used to just about anything! Our dinners are lit by candlelight so that we don't ever turn on the lights in the house. If it is cold, we light the fire.
This is the main room where we have meals, read, have fires, use the computer, and this day Angela was giving a tour and permaculture lesson to one of the local permaculture classes
"Diggin' in the Dirt" (Peter Gabriel) me in the greenhouse planting trees :)
The Greenhouse


I'm still having the time of my life at Angelas. Today the other two girls wwoofing here (from Minnesota) were sent on a mission to gather pine needles for mulching. We were pointed in a general direction in the bush and said, go that way toward pine trees. But we basically got lost as there was no trail and found only one pine tree that we collected needles from. My first non-trail bush walk....and I'm okay if it was my last! ADAPTATION! I have a goal to make peace with the spiders!

I have been watching the "Zeitgeist" films (there are 2) and it's pretty weird to watch them while in such a remote location out of the country, my perspective is completely changed. Group conversations with people from all over the world is really interesting and fun. I recommend everyone to watch "Zeitgeist" www.zeitgeist.com it is free to download and watch, it's about 2 hours long but is in sections.

I'm sad to be leaving Angela's on Saturday, but Josh and I are coming back in February for a week!!!

1 comment:

Adi said...

HI EMILY, MY HUSBAND AND I WOOFED AT ANGELA´S PLACE FOR 4 WEEKS IN 2004. WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIFE. UNFORTUNATELY, I LOST CONTACT WITH ANGELA. DO YOU MAYBE HAVE HER EMAIL ADRESS? I WOULD LOVE TO WRITE TO HER.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THESE LOVELY PHOTOS - IT REALLY THROWS ME BACK TO A WONDERFUL PERIOD...
ALL THE BEST, ADI
MY EMAIL ADRESS IS adi@shoh.at